Description/ Blurb

They call me a space cowboy.

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Howdy!

Hello Internet!  The name’s Dross, and at the recommendation of all the people whose ears I talk off on a daily basis, I’ve decided to start a little blog here.  What to expect in the near future?  Well, I suppose I should start by telling you a little bit about myself, and then a little about what I’m planning to write about.  I’m currently an undergraduate student of engineering, which is an intriguing experience that I’d like to document, and on the side I’m still working through my GEs here and there.  The simple truth is classes like Ethics or Composition give you a lot to think about, and thinking gets me to talking quite a bit which is what I’d like to share with you fine people.  

The name of this blog is ‘Infinite Frontiers’, and I suppose that takes a little explaining too.  I’ve always had a love for many of the things that can be associated with the word ‘frontier’; as far back as having “Western Day” in elementary school in fact.  I love the idea of a world that exists just beyond people’s knowledge and understanding, and the idea of plumbing the depths of that world I love even more.  Frankly, that’s what drew me to the applied sciences in the first place, looking for the chance to ride the bleeding edge of scientific progress and help use it in a practical (or at least workable) context.  Being into those sorts of things understandably lead me  to be a bit of a sci-fi enthusiast, which introduced me to something that stuck in my craw.  It always bugged me when they’d start each episode of Star Trek with the phrase, “Space, the final frontier!” and suddenly people started calling it that.  

A final frontier?  What a horrible concept!

Even if what we consider space spans out endlessly, there are far more frontiers to be explored.  Something as familiar as our planet’s oceans still contain untold and undiscovered wonders, the human mind provides us with another nigh infinite space to explore, the potential of multiple universes spoken of in theoretical physics, and even the Internet itself is a data-drenched frontier of possibilities.  This is naming just a few potential frontiers that stand head and shoulders with the mysterious reaches of space, and that is my kind of world!  Infinite frontiers, just waiting to be explored.

I don’t really know where to go with all this at the moment, but I suppose when I’ve got a nice chunk of thoughts stewing in my head, I’ll ladle them out for everyone to enjoy.  If you’re reading this article in the back of the blog’s archive, tell me then that me now says hi, that way it’ll almost be like time travelling.  

Happy Trails
-Dross

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dross! Can't wait to hear more from you soon! :D Welcome to the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete